TEEN DEPRESSION TREATMENT
Today’s teens have a lot on their plates. From academics and sports to peer pressure and social media challenges; there’s a lot that they’re dealing with and it can be overwhelming. They can feel alone and isolated and experiencing mental illness or even suicidal thoughts. When a teen begins to exhibit concerning signs of depression, a loss of interest in their usual hobbies, or drastic changes in their behavior and/or emotions, it might be time to explore your teen depression treatment options in Dallas, Texas.
BasePoint Academy in Texas offers integrative PHP and IOP treatments for teens who are struggling with many emotional challenges including adolescent depression, anxiety, stress, and substance use or abuse of other types.
Warning Signs And Symptoms Of Teen Depression
As a parent, some of the most difficult years of your life can be while your child is navigating their teenage years. There are so many hormones, emotions, health conditions, social pressures, and even family tension that can negatively impact their overall well-being.
It’s important to be aware and on the lookout for the symptoms of teenage depression to avoid their symptoms worsening. Care for adolescents (age 12-18 if still in school) is challenging, and by knowing what to look for and how to identify the symptoms of depression, you can open the door to long-term sustainable healing for your teen.
Symptoms to watch for include the following:
- Extreme or prolonged sadness
- Low self-esteem
- Unexplained or explained feelings of guilt
- Sensitivity to failure or rejection
- Loss of interest or motivation
- Feelings or expressions of worthlessness
- Poor grades or unusual drop in academic performance
- Outbursts of anger
- High-risk for self-harm
- Changes in appetite
- Unexplained weight gain
- Substance use and/or abuse
- Thoughts of suicide or death
BasePoint Academy INQUIRY
Causes of Teen Depression
What exactly causes depressed teens? Every teenager is different, but there are common triggers that can contribute to the development of clinical depression. One of the components of our Dallas-based outpatient program is individual therapy which assists in further identifying and addressing the various causes of depression from the inside out.
Some of the most common causes of teen depression include the following:
- Changes in the body’s hormones
- Changes in brain chemistry
- Early childhood Trauma
- Inherited traits
- Negative thinking patterns
- Family history
- Medical conditions
Risk Factors of Teenage Depression
While depression among teens is all too common in our modern times, our innovative treatment center engages in many evidence-based strategies, techniques, and interventions that have been specifically developed for teens who are struggling with obstacles related to their mental health.
See some of the risk factors listed below to help determine if your teen may be at risk or already developing depression:
- Being bullied, being overweight, and peer pressure
- Other mental health concerns like anxiety disorders, bipolar, or eating disorders like bulimia or anorexia.
- Having witnessed or been the victim of sexual or physical abuse
- Abusing drugs or alcohol
- Low self-esteem
- Suffering from a physical illness, such as; cancer, asthma, or diabetes
- Having a learning disability
- Having gender identity questions in an unsupportive environment
- Being in a dysfunctional family dynamic
- Having relatives who have been diagnosed or suspected of mental health concerns including bipolar disorder
- Having a family member or close friend who has committed suicide
- Experiencing parental divorce, separation from a parent, or the death of a family member or close friend
Be sure to call BasePoint Academy in Dallas, Tx for more information on how we can help your teen with their mental health journey to healing.
DON’T IGNORE THE SYMPTOMS
Mood disorders or major depressive disorder is a serious concern that affects approximately 20 percent of high school-aged students, before they ever reach adulthood. Studies also show that anywhere from 10 to 15 percent of high school students can experience symptoms of depression at some level at any point in time. It is important that you do not ignore the symptoms of depression in your teen. When it comes to your teen’s mental health, BasePoint Academy in Dallas, TX, is here to help you both navigate these challenges.
Our skilled and highly qualified team of clinicians and mental health professionals offer a wide range of therapeutic interventions to help your teen and your family heal and thrive.
- Individual and Family therapy sessions
- Various psychotherapy approaches, including expressive art, role playing, and guided imagery
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Experiential Therapy
- Solution-Focused Therapy (AKA Person-centered Therapy)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Trust Based Relational Intervention (TBRI)
- Skills coaching and academic support
- Highly trained, qualified, and dedicated licensed therapists
- Life skills management and group therapy
- Relapse prevention
- Suicide prevention
- Medication Management (antidepressant medications as well as other prescriptions)
- Mindfulness and Meditation
Healthy interpersonal skills and early interventions in your teen’s life will help you identify the signs of substance abuse, self-harm, and other varying levels of risky behaviors. Our treatment programs are specifically designed for each individual teen based on their mental health needs when they arrive at our facility. Call today to schedule a complimentary assessment with our team so we can help your teen on the road to healthy sustainable recovery in Dallas TX.
Contact BasePoint Academy Today
Has your teen exhibited any of the symptoms discussed here? Does your teen have any of the risk factors outlined above? If you are concerned about the mental health of your teenager, it’s time to contact BasePoint Academy to discuss a treatment plan for your teen.